If you are a home owner you know that there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done! In some ways this physical reality is a picture of its spiritual and relational parallel – family requires work. You never really finish and the labor must not stop. Like the transformative work Christ does in us, the “renovation” of our relationships is something that goes on all of our lives.
We have the privilege of speaking at marriage retreats for many wonderful churches each year. Couples of all ages and at all stages of married life come together to study God’s Word, pray together, and work on their relationships. This kind of home maintenance is absolutely essential if we are to become the family that God desires for us to be.
Here are a few principles for home improvement:
- Keep a list of things that you need to work on. (Note: not what someone else needs to do!)
- Give attention to the structural things, not just what everyone sees.
- Don’t just do a quick “patch” – do the hard work of getting it right.
- Be willing to invest what is necessary to get the job done. God honoring homes cost something!
- Get counsel from those who know. If you don’t know how to fix something, ask someone who does. Google is not enough.
There are certain times of the year when we tend to give attention to those projects and repairs that need to be done around the house, but spiritual home work must be done year round! So what is the home improvement that needs to be done in your home right now? God will show you. He will give you the tools and supplies. Most of all, the Lord will work with you to bring your home in line with the divine blueprint.
Our prayer is that God will bless your family today and continue His work of home improvement in the days to come…
Scott and Tammy